Historic Buildings of the Past
This article is for buildings that no longer exist. Many historic buildings still exist in Baildon. You can read about some of them from this page.
Baildon once had a cinema in the center, on Northgate. For more details please see Baildon Picture House
Looking from Browgate towards the Moravian Church is a gateway with steps leading round and up to the church. To the right of the gateway there is now an open space. On this site in the mid 1850s there were three cottages, each three storeys high, which housed a total of 90 residents and was known locally as 'Nine 'Oiled Birdcage'. The ground floor was accessed from the pavement in Browgate. Up the steps was an opening to allow access to the middle storey and at the top of the steps was a terrace giving access to the top storey. The well worn steps on the right are evidence of years of wear, as most people were shod in clogs at that time. The general clamour of 90 people living in this restricted area, along with the incessant clickety, clackety sound of clogs on the stone steps, gave rise to the naming of the area as `BEDLAM STEPS'.
This link should take you to the Google Streetview of where the Nine 'oiled birdcage was - Google Streetview
Tong Park Hall and Lodge
Tong Park Hall and Lodge were built by the Denbys of Wm Denby & Sons, Tong Park in the late 1800s.
From the Register of Electors for Baildon East Ward for several years we can see that Denbys were living there. The house at 2 Tong Park was given the name Woodlands.
|681||O||O||Denby, Alice||Tong Park Hall|
|682||O||O||Denby, Sarah Christiana||Tong Park Hall|
|683||R||-||Denby, Harry||Tong Park Hall|
|684||R||-||Denby, Richard||Tong Park Hall|
|687||R||O||Denby, Joseph||SJ||2 Tong Park|
|688||HO||HO||Denby, Hannah Amelia||2 Tong Park|
|1012||R||O||Denby, Richard||SJ||Tong Park Hall|
|1013||R||O||Denby, Henry||Tong Park Hall|
|1014||Rw||Ow||Denby, Alice||Tong Park Hall|
|1015||Rw||-||Long, Jeanie||Tong Park Hall|
|1016||Rw||-||Long, Mary Bridget||Tong Park Hall|
|1017||Rw||-||Thornton, Jessie Marie||Tong Park Hall|
|1020||R||O||Denby, Joseph||SJ||2 Woodlands|
|1021||Rw||-||Hodgson, Margaret||2 Woodlands|
|1022||Rw||-||Willis, Sarah||2 Woodlands|
West Yorkshire, Non-Conformist records 1883 Baptisms solemnised in the Wesleyan-Methodist Chapel Tong Park, Baildon page 24 entry 78 - 9 December 1883. Richard son of John and Sarah Christiana Denby. Born July 7 1883. Performed by Theo Gregory.
In 1930 Tong Park Hall had Sarah Christiana, Alice, Henry and Richard Denby with Lily Dunning, Annie Long and Janie Long.
In 1931 Tong Park Hall had Richard, Alice and Henry Denby with Annie Long, Janie Long and Louisa Ward.
In 1932 the 3 non Denbys were Kate Henri, Delia Long and Jeanie Long.
In 1934 Mary Bridget Thorton had gone and Magaret Laver was there.
In 1937 Tong Park Hall had Richard, Alice and Henry Denby with Jeanie Long, Florence Marsh and Evelyn Taylor.
In 1939 Tong Park Hall had Richard, Alice and Henry Denby with Jeanie Long, Winnie Burrows and Christine Matthews.
In 1940 Tong Park Hall had Richard, Alice and Henry Denby with Jeanie Long and Kathleen Coning. And at 2 Woodlands Joseph Denby, Saraj Willis and Annie Cobb.
The letters in column 2 and 3 indicate Parliamentry and Local qualification of the elector. The letters used changed over the years. In this case it is probably due to the Equal Franchise Act 1928 and more women becoming eligible to vote in their own right. The w indicates Women. The HO of earlier years was replaced with D and Dw
R - Resdence qualification
O - Occupation qualification
HO - Qualification through husband's occupation
D - Qualification through wife's occupatio
Dw - Qualification through husband's occupation
BP and NM are also used
BP - Business premises qualification
NM - Naval or Military voter
J - Juror
SJ - Special Juror
|John Denby Esq||Head||35||Married||Shipley, Yorkshire||Worsted Spinner & Manufacturer|
|Sarah C Denby||Wife 31||Married||North Kelsy, Lincolnshire|
|Joseph Denby||Son||7||Baildon, Yorkshire|
|Marion Denby||Daughter||4||Baildon, Yorkshire|
|Alice Denby||Daughter||1||Baildon, Yorkshire|
|Florence Denby||Daughter||7mo||Baildon, Yorkshire|
|Ellen Ringrade (?)||Servant||21||Single||Barnby Dun, Yorkshire||General Serv|
|Sarah Hill||Servant||20||Single||Birmingham, Warwickshire||General Serv|
|William H Denby||Head||56||Unmarried||Shipley, Yorkshire||Master Worsted Spinner & Manufacturer. Employing 523 workspeople also Master Farmer 17 acres employing 5 men|
|Maria Whalley||Serv||28 ?||Unmarried||Yeadon, Yorkshire||General Serv|
|Mary A Whalley||Serv||17 ?||Unmarried||Yeadon, Yorkshire||General Serv|
|John Denby||Head||65||Married||Shipley, Yorkshire||Worsted Spinner & Manufacturer|
|Sarah Christiana Denby||Wife||62 Married||North Kelsey, Lincolnshire|
|Joseph Denby||Son||37||Single||Baildon, Yorkshire||Assisting in the business|
|Alice Denby||Daughter||31||Single||Baildon, Yorkshire|
|Richard Denby||Son||27||Single||Baildon, Yorkshire||Assiating in the business|
|William Denby||Son||24||Single||Baildon, Yorkshire||Assisting in the business|
|Henry Denby||Son||23||Single||Baildon, Yorkshire||Assisting in the business|
|Jane Brignell||Servant||56||Single||Hull, Yorkshire||Dook. Domestic|
|Edith Coles||Servant||20||Single||Harborough, Warwickshire||House Maid. Domestic|
|Emma Crowcroft||Servant||19||Single||Doncaster, Yorkshire||House Maid. Domestic|
|Charles Long||Head||66||Married||Esholt, Yorkshire||Manager. Worsted Manufacturer|
|Louise Long||Wife||54||Married||Baildon, Yorkshire|
|Hannah Long||Daughter||22||Single||Esholt, Yorkshire|
|Charlotte Long||Daughter||17||Single||Esholt, Yorkshire|
In the 1950s the building was acquired by Bradford Council and it became a children's institution. There are some horrendous stories about what went on at the place during this time. It would be great to get some good stories about the place.
This map shows the location of the Hall - Map
The Mechanics Institute was an imposing building in Towngate, the market square of Baildon. It was at the top right of Browgate/bottom left corner of Church Hill. (Hallcliffe)
Built in 1862 and demolished in the 1960s when the centre was redeveloped and the Ian Clough Hall build.
Baildon Local Board of Guardians moved their meetings there from rooms at Existing_Historic_Buildings#25_Westgate.
Mechanics Institute Clock
A clock was fitted to the building in 1870 and a Bradford Observer report dated Wednesday 1 June 1870 read:-
A new public clock set in motion on Monday night. It is the Mechanics Institute and has a dial at each end of the building. Beneath the dial on the NW side of the building is a square stone which bears the following inscription. 'This clock was raised by public subscription, through the energy of the Baildon Glee and Madrigal Society, and placed in this building for the special use of the village'. The clock was started by the vicar Rev W Ffolliott at 8.00pm. The clock was made by Jonathan Cryer of Bingley and cost about £120 including the shafting to the second dial, which meant running the length of the building.
Entries in the Baildon Local Board of Guardians minutes have several mentions of the clock
19 Dec 1871 The illumination of the Public Clock was agreed. This was to be Saturday night and it had to be extinguished at 11 o'clock. The Guardians agreed to accept the Public Clock from the Committee. 21 Aug 1877 The Guardians agreed to accept the Public Clock from the Committee if a signed document was given. 18 Dec 1877 The Public Clock was to be placed in the Mechanics Institute to the care of the Local Board for the Benefit of the ratepayers for ever. 7 Feb 1882 Agreed purchase of new wire rope for the clock in the Mechanic's Institute. 7 June 1887 The alm (?) dwelling was condemned. Messrs. Shaw & Sons were to be asked to furnish estimates for a new dial in glass and enamel for the Public Clock. Plans were passed for farm buildings for Mr R Hardaker. 2 Aug 1887 Mr Clegg of Baildon Hall was to be charged for water used in the house and not by meter. William Carter's tender to fix the clock dial for £4 was accepted. Mr Shaw to paint the clock dial black and figures in gilt and to ensure the clock was left in going order. 10 Aug 1887 The Board agreed that water supplies be cut off 6pm-7am in order to conserve supplies. The Bell-man was to be instructed to inform the consumers of the arrangement and warn against waste. The Board agreed to accept Mr Shaw's tender for supplying cast iron dial for public clock 5ft 9in in diameter painted black & gilt for £7. 16 Oct 1888 The Clerk informed members that Baildon's share of the cost of the new bridge at Buck Mill would be £389. The Board agreed that two plaques be fixed stating details of the date, purpose and conditions which the bridge had been erected. The purchase of a Wet Gas Meter for the Clock was agreed. The Board discussed the proposals to merger Baildon with Windhill on an Electoral Division for election of County Councillors.
When the Mechanics Institute was demolished the clock was moved to the Liberal Club. An early photo of the Liberal Club shows a sloping roof to the front. Some time before the clock was installed the roof was changed so that it had a gable end.
One feature of the clock is that it has clock faces at the front of the building and the back with long shafts connecting to the hands. A large trap door in the ceiling of the Liberal club gives access to the mechanism. The Mechanics Institute clock from the building was moved to the Liberal Club building at that time and the Liberal club upper floor changed to suit.
One of the Baildon Pubs
Baines 1822 Directory lists Mary Kendall as victualler of The Roebuck Inn.
Kelly's Directory has William Ravel, Roebuck Inn P.H., Northgate.
Between The Angel and The Malt Shovel (to the right of the building now occupied by Baildon Communication) there used to be The Roebuck Inn. This has been demolished and business premises built called Airedale House, 15-17 Northgate. For a long while this was offices for British Oxygen Company (BOC). In 2017 it houses the Carpet Company, Baildon Travel and finesse a gift and card shop (17 Northgate). In the photo on the right the building that is just visible on the left is Baildon Communication, 19 Northgate. On the right is Pickles Deli in the Towngate Rooms/Liberal Club. And to the right of that the sign for The Angel is visible. We are then on to more recent buildings from the 1960s.
If anyone has a photo of The Roebuck with suitable copyright that can go on here please let me know.
Baines Directory of 1822 lists John Holmes as the victualler of the Cross Keys.
Ferniehurst was built by Edward Salt in the early 1860s. Edward Salt married his first wife Mary Jane Susan Elgood on July 10 1861; and it therefore seems likely that the house was built for her. The land belonged to Titus Salt who had wanted to build a house on the Knoll site but had changed his mind and sold that land to Charles Stead. There are no known pictures of the house and no building plans However maps of the area do show the basic plan of the house and of the glasshouses and other buildings. Edward Salt had one of the foremost collections of orchids in the country and the Odontoglossum House at Ferniehurst was considered a model of perfection. Edward Salt lived at Ferniehurst until 1893 when as a result of the restructuring of the family firm he left the area. His collection of orchids had been sold in 1892 and the house had been mortgaged to the Bradford Bank. The estate was offered for sale in 1892. The house was described as having 12 bedrooms, a tower, and a billiard room with a separate staircase. There were also outbuildings including a carriage house for 6 carriages, a separate laundry, a gardener's bothy, 3 vineries and a mushroom house. The estate failed to reach the asking price and was withdrawn from sale. It was eventually bought by George Camille Waud. His family owned Britannia Mills in Bradford. His great interests were growing roses and breeding hackneys; he built a hackney stud at Ferniehurst. In the 1920s he started selling off land from the estate. Temple Rhydding Drive etc. were built on Ferniehurst land. In the early 1930s the house was offered to Baildon Council who declined to take it. The house and grounds were then sold to a quarrying company who are said to have used stone from the house to build the houses in Rockliffe Avenue. Baildon Council eventually acquired the grounds and laid them out as recreation grounds complete with a playground.
1891 Census Data
|Edward Salt||54||Head||Male||Bradford, Yorkshire||Married|
|Sarah A Salt||44||Wife||Female||Bradford, Yorkshire||Married|
|Robert Walker||24||Servant||Male||Carnforth, Lancashire||Footman|
|Mary Jane Agar||35||Servant||Female||Danby Yorkshire||Waiting Maid|
|Annie Snell||39||Servant||Female||Thorpe Nottinghamshire||House maid|
|Bessie E Luxton||20||Servant||Female||Farway Devon||House maid|
|Sabina Carnaby||20||Servant||Female||North Kelsey Lincolnshire||kitchen maid|
Dwelling: Farm, Ferniehurst
|John Wm Badland||32||Head||Male||Baildon Yorkshire England||Married|
|Henrietta Badland||32||Wife||Female||Pool Yorkshire England||Married|
|Thomas Badland||5||Son||Male||Baildon Yorkshire England|
|Annie Badland||2||Daughter||Female||Wilsden Yorkshire England|
Dwelling: Gardens, Ferniehurst
|Annie Grange||39||Head||Female||York Yorkshire||Married||Laundress|
|Jane Grange||12||Daughter||Female||Harrogate Yorkshire||Single|
|Harry Grange||10||Son||Male||Harrogate Yorkshire||Single|
Dwelling: Gardens, Ferniehurst
|George Russell||37||Head||Male||Cliffe Yorkshire||Married||Garden Labourer|
|Harriet Russell||29||Wife||Female||Ryther Yorkshire||Married|
|Frances Russell||4||Daughter||Female||Ryther Yorkshire||Single|
|Arthur Russell||2||Son||Male||Ryther Yorkshire||Single|
|Harry Russell||6mo||Son||Male||Baildon Yorkshire||Single|
|Martha Ann Shepherd||25||Sister in Law||Female||Ryther Yorkshire||Domestic|
Dwelling: Gardens, Ferniehurst
|Donald A Bremner||30||Head||Male||Ambleside Westmorland||Married||Domestic Gardener|
|Lucy Bremner||25||Wife||Female||Aberford Yorkshire||Married|
|Jessie Bremner||10mo||Daughter||Female||Baildon Yorkshire||Single|
|Mary Bremner||60||Mother||Female||Penrith Cumberland|
Dwelling: Bothy, Ferniehurst
|Edward Self||27||Male||Leiston, Suffolk||Gardener Dom Servant|
|John Allerston||25||Male||Sowerby. Yorkshire|
Dwelling: The Lodge, Ferniehurst
|Henry Newton||54||Head||Male||East Ayton Yorkshire||Coachman|
|Amelia Newton||25||Daughter||Female||Scarborough Yorkshire|
|Emily Freeman||34||Neice||Female||Bridlington Yorkshire||Dressmaker|
1911 Census Data
|George Camille Waud||41||Head||Male||Bradford, Yorkshire||Married||Mohair Spinner|
|Ethel Sarah Waud||40||Wife||Female||Barnsley, Yorkshire||Married|
|Noreen Majorie Waud||10||Daughter||Female||Baildon, Yorkshire||Single|
|Walter Henry Halder||38||Servant||Male||York, Yorkshire||Single||Butler|
|Charles Ford Ford||26||Servant||Male||Pickering, Yorkshire||Single||Footman|
|Annie Pickersgill||41||Servant||Female||Pontefract, Yorkshire||Married||Cook|
|Edith Rose Weay||23||Servant||Female||Malton, Yorkshire||Single||Lady's Maid|
|Rachel Smeaton||24||Servant||Female||Hickleton, Yorkshire||Single||Housemaid|
|Flavell Mary Laude||19||Servant||Female||Hornby, Yorkshire||Single||Housemaid|
|Hamel Gertude Lord||19||Servant||Female||Balne, Yorkshire||Single||Kitchen Maid (Domestic)|
Dwelling: The Farm, Fernihurst
|Emmanuel Waite||43||Head||Male||Bingley, Yorkshire||Married||Farmer|
|Hannah Waite||44||Wife||Female||Baildon, Yorkshire||Maried|
|Harold Waite||13||Son||Male||Baildon, Yorkshire||Single|
|Emily Waite||21||Daughter||Female||Baildon, Yorkshire||Single||Milliner|
Dwelling: Cottage, Ferniehurst
|William Taylor||36||Head||Male||Great Sneaton, Yorkshire||Married||Head Gardener (Domestic)|
|Susan Taylor||38||Wife||Female||Scampston, Yorkshire||Married|
|Mary Edna Taylor||9||Daughter||Female||Baildon, Yorkshire||Single|
|Alice Maud Taylor||8||Daughter||Female||Baildon, Yorkshire||Single|
Dwelling: The Lodge, Fernihurst
|George Johnson||38||Head||Male||Arkley, Herts||Married||Chauffeur (Domestic)|
|Emily Johnson||38||Wife||Female||Croydon, Surrey||Married|
|George Hewitt Johnson||15||Son||Male||Caterham, Surrey||Single||Mill Clerk|
|Emily Mary Johnson||9||Daughter||Female||Baildon, Yorkshire||Single|
Dwelling: Ferniehurst Gardener's Bothie
|John Curwen||26||Male||Grange, Lancashire||Single||Gardener|
|James Milton||26||Male||Chapelthorpe, Yorks||Single||Gardener|
|Wilfred Johnson||23||Male||Middleton Tyas, Yorkshire,||Single||Gardener|
|Smith Viney||26||Male||Tadcaster, Yorkshire||Single||Gardener|
|William Peal||26||Male||Fleetwood, Lancashire||Single||Garden Labourer (Domestic)|
|Arthur Holbeck||18||Male||Baildon, Yorkshire||Single||Garden Labourer (Domestic)|
|Walter Lambert||18||Male||East Stockeston, Lincolnshire||Single||Garden Labourer (Domestic)|
The Knoll was built in 1858 by Charles Stead. The land had originally belonged to the Ferrand family; it was sold to Titus Salt who then sold it to Charles Stead who was a director at Salt. There are photographs of the house but no building plans. The house had beautiful grounds. The entrance was at the bottom of Green Lane, the drive ascending through Fairnbank Wood. Charles Stead left the house in the 1890s as a result of the restructuring at Salts and moved to the Morecambe area. The Knoll estate was acquired by James Roberts, later Sir James Roberts, who was part of the syndicate which took over Salts. Who eventually moved to Milner Fields. Members of his family continued to live in the house until after World War I. The estate then had a series of occupiers until eventually Baildon Urban District Council bought it in 1946. The house was pulled down and flats built on the site; the grounds were opened in 1948 as a recreation ground and were subject to a series of rules and regulations.
I used to explore it just before it was demolished. It had a square tower and a spiral staircase. stained glass windows at the bottom of the staircase and a round stone raised water feature at the back. Thank you from Marilyn Cordingley (nee Knowles)
1891 Census Data
Dwelling: The Knoll
|Charles Stead||Head||68||Male||Wortley, Yorkshire||Married||Justice of the Peace & Worsted Spinner/Manufacturer|
|Mary Ann Stead||Wife||66||Female||Pudsey, Yorkshire||Married|
|Emily Stead||Daughter||42||Female||Bradford, Yorkshire||Single|
|Ella Marion Stead||Daughter||24||Female||Baildon, Yorkshire||Single|
|Mary Elizabeth Hoare||Servant||33||Female||Hunts, Woodston||Single||Domestic Servant|
|Elizabeth Jane Kennedy||Servant||30||Female||Castle Eden Durham||Single||Domestic Servant|
|Sarah Ann Wassencraft||Servant||26||Female||Shrewsbury Shropshire||Single||Domestic Servant|
|Kathleen Cowper||Servant||29||Female||Coalbrookdale Shropshire||Single||Domestic Servant|
|Annie English||Servant||17||Female||Napton, Peterboro||Single||Domestic Servant|
Dwelling: The Knoll Lodge
|Abraham Duerden||Head||30||Male||Bradford, Yorkshire||Married||Domestic Servant|
|Louisa Duerden||Wife||32||Female||Swinton, Yorkshire||Married|
|Mary Ann Duerden||Daughter||8||Female||Bradford, Yorkshire||Single|
|Charles Duerden||Son||6||Male||Bradford, Yorkshire||Single|
|Hannah Duerden||Daughter||3||Female||Bradford, Yorkshire||Single|
Dwelling: The Knoll Lodge Green Lane
|Jane Forrester||Wife||40||Female||Manchester, Lancashire||Married|
|Elizabeth Forrester||Daughter||12||Female||Altringham, Cheshire||Single||Scholar|
Fairbank Wood Lodge
Half way down the drive in the Knoll Park (Fairbank Wood) was another lodge on the left hand side going down. This was damaged by falling rocks from above and behind the lodge and was subsequently vacated and demolished possibly in the late fifties. There were also what I believe to be pigsties on the right hand side of the drive adjacent to the main mansion overlooking Baildon Green. There was also a small house by the right hand side of the mansion (unknown residents) I am in the process of drawing the mansion from my memory of it and the photo on the historic buildings of the past baildon wiki site from - Marilyn Cordingley
Hostel for Italian Women
A large house, demolished in May 2009, at the corner where Green Lane and the Otley Road meet was a hostel where many Italian women workers lived after the war, being employed at C. F. Taylor in the Worsted trade.
The question of a hostel for Polish workers in the mills arose in 2008. It had been suggested to Stewart Main that it was on the Coach Road, however no other reference to it at this location has been found. The Coach Road was very rural after the war and a building like a hostel would have been remembered by local residents who still live in the area.
Two local women, Anne and June, who lived on Glenaire Drive during and after the war have said that only one Hostel existed, and they thought it was for Italian women. It is referred to in Baildon Council minutes. They suggested that Polish women may also have lived in the same hostel. Both groups could have worked at the mills.
A number of streets existed on that corner or nearby which have since been demolished. The rectangle of land between Green Lane, Southdown Road and Cliffe Lane had Nelson Street, Walker Street, Springcliffe Street, Fernbank Street, Taylor Terrace and ?? . Approximately 112 houses in that small space.
- Baines Directory of 1822. Page 452 & 453
- Kelly's Directory for Leeds of 1893. Page 459, 460 & 461