H O Griffiths
H O Griffiths was Chair of Baildon Urban District Council for the year 1955-56. He owned the garage that is called (2009) Hollins Hill Garage on Otley Road next to Centenary Road.
Shaw Robinson and descendants
Shaw Robinson was born into a large family in Bradford in 1846. He seems to have made progress as a beer seller and publican in Bradford and was at the Horse and Jockey Pub, 5 Bramley Street in the 1881 census. Shaw was the landlord of The Shoulder of Mutton public house on Otley Road, Baildon with his older brothers Jerry and Waddington. His son Otto was born 5th Sept 1884 while Shaw was at the Shoulder of Mutton. When Shaw retired he moved to Upper Baildon and became a Councillor on the Baildon Urban District Council.
The family seem to have lived at 54 Bank Crest, Parkmount Avenue, and 20 Westgate in 1919.
In 1909 Otto married Mary Alice Fawcett who was living at 7 Perseverance Street. They were married in the Moravian Chapel.
Otto served in the First World War having been drafted mid 1916, serving until 1919. He spent a short time in France. On the basis of this service his name was drawn from a hat and he was party to the laying of the foundation stone at the alms/nurses homes at the bottom of Browgate which is now the Baildon War Memorial. His name can be seen on the lintel above the door and his family still have the trowel that he used.
Otto had a son, Eric, who spent much of his life in upper Baildon.
Eric had a son Tony who spent his first 18 years in the area and a great deal of time in the 50s and 60s visiting his grandmother Mary Alice (nee Fawcett) at 1 Westfield Terrace.
Tony, now living in the Channel Islands, provided this information 2006-11-04 11:29:45 Tony would welcome contact with others researching similar areas. Contact can be made through the Baildon Village website web master.