BLBG Minutes 1852-1859
These are the notes made by Arthur Edwick 1977 of the Baildon Local Board of Guardians for 1852 to 1859 transcribed by Paul Marfell 2009.
16 Sept 1852
Elections to the Board 1 took place on 16 Sept 1852. Nine members was the legal requirement. The names of the first Guardians elected were: Samuel Clapham, James Browne, John H. Whitaker, Joseph Mitten, William Midgeley, William Ives, Thomas Walker and Thomas Tomlinson.
6 Oct 1852
The first meeting was called in The Church School Room. Only two members attended and the meeting had to be abandoned until a further date.
9 Oct 1852
The next meeting was called on 9 Oct 1852 and was fully attended. Thomas Holmes was appointed Clerk at a salary of ten pounds per year, and it was agreed that the Schoolmaster's House be rented (one room) at 1s/6d per week for the purpose of Board meetings.
A meeting with Colonel Maude, The Lord of the Manor, was arranged and took place at “The Black Horse” in Skipton. Colonel Maude consented to the Board's request that water from certain springs on Baildon Moor be diverted for a supply of water to the village. A token payment of one pound a year as an acknowledgement was agreed.
5 Jan 1853
The first Bye Laws were agreed upon at the Board's meeting on 5 Jan 1853.
5 Feb 1853
The first plans regarding private residences were passed on 5 Feb 1853. These were for houses in Temple Rhydding Drive, described as “top of Baildon Wood”. (Further note - These houses are situated in Baildon Road adjacent to the entrance to The Dell) (Note by Paul Marfell - these houses are known as Temple Rhydding, not Temple Rhydding Drive which is further up Baildon Road and probably built between WWI and WWII)
15 October 1853
Mr Butler of Kirkstall Forge was given permission to install the first gas lamp in the village. This was fixed on top of the old Market Cross in the Village square, and there is a minute recorded - “that Shipley Gas Company be invited to supply new burners at a charge of 29s/- for 1750 hours of supply (4 ft. burners) and 35s/- for 5 ft. burners.
William Midgeley who was a very prominent person in the village was appointed Chairman of the Board in 1854. This gentleman was the owner of the three coal mines on Baildon Moor, but also had other interests, at one time Postmaster, and then Blacksmith. The periods of his ownership of the different coal mines are not known.
There are many records in the minutes of reports by the Inspector of Nuisances :-
5 April 1855
A gentleman named William Craven received a notice regarding his miss-use of the “Town Quarries”
14 April 1855
Notices were served on the Trustees of The Moravian Chapel to provide decent “privies”.
The Town Crier was given instructions to warn the villagers regarding nuisance caused by children playing the game of Bowls in the street (Stone Bowls were used)
In its infancy the Board were persistently in financial trouble, and it was very difficult to find the funds necessary for the various schemes essential to the health and well-being of the villagers.
8 Feb 1856
The minutes refer to the Clerk to the Board being willing to advance them £250 with interest until further finance was available.
1 Aug 1856
Welfitt Oddy, being the Lord of the Manor's Pinder, was instructed to impound any cattle found straying on the highway.
Mr Isaac Slater attended the meeting of The Board during which he stated: he could no longer fulfil his duties of looking after the paupers, who were employed breaking stones, unless his wages were doubled.
26 Sept 1856
Repairs to The Bobbling Well were agreed upon.
19 Nov 1856
The Clerk was instructed to inform Mr Lockley, one of the acting trustees of Baildon School, that “this Board will not continue to occupy The Board Room unless the rent is reduced to 9d per week.”
13 Nov 1857
Mr John Waller reported agreement had been reached with the Church Wardens and Overseers, for the Board to use a small cottage in the churchyard, it was also proposed that meetings should be called fortnightly on Fridays.
29 Jan 1858
It was agreed that water mains be extended to the Manorial Hall in accordance with the agreement reached with The Lord of the Manor when he had given permission for water from springs on Baildon Moor to be taken for public supply. The mains were to be laid when finance was available. (Note by PRM -Is this Baildon Hall or Baildon Old Hall?)
16 July 1858
Ordered that water pipes be laid to the Manor House occupied by Mr Garnet.
23 April 1858
East Parade is described as Prospect Row in a minute recorded at this meeting.
15 Oct 1858
The Clerk reported to the Guardians that Mr J W Ellison had desired him to express to them his regret at his unsteadiness of conduct, and that to state also that he had taken the oath of Temperance, and would be glad if the Board would try him for another quarter.
Request acceded to. (Note by PRM - Is this J W Ellison who lived in Ellison Fold? Worked in Baildon until 1870 – the last hand loom weaver. As mentioned in the Baildon Village Walk produced by Baildon History Society. Try him as what?)
20 May 1859
Mr Midgeley attended a meeting representing the firm Midgeley Beck Co.. A tram road to their colliery on Baildon Moor near High Plain was proposed. The present road was costing the ratepayers £100 per annum. In return excused from payment of rates on their colliery was requested.