This page will give brief details of particular Baildon areas to put them into context.
The main A6038 road through the Charlestown area of Baildon by the river Aire. On the East side of the road are many of the larger businesses of Baildon though several of them are being demolished and smaller businesses and housing built. The Butterfield estate is one such.
An area of Baildon near Otley Road below Holins Hill
This area is mentioned in several of the Baildon Heritage Trails
The area often referred to as Shipley Glen should properly be known as Bracken Hall Green. The glen is the area below Bracken Hall Green with Loadpit Beck running at the bottom of it. This area has several standing stones and a circle of stones was partly removed when the road was widened. This area and adjacent Baildon Moor have several cup and ring stones.
Milner Field was originally the home of Titus Salt junior and his wife Catherine (nee Crossley)
Milner Field was built in 1the 1870s and replaced a seventeenth century house of the same name. 'It is a self-contained..modern structure with large Conservatory (containing semi-tropical plants and exotics', Winter Gardens, Greenhouses, well-stocked Gardens,..Lodges, Woodlands..Lake etc.' The interior of the Mansion was panelled in oak, teakwood, mahogany chestnut and cedarwood.
There were two royal visits to Milner Field. The Prince of Wales and Princess Alexandra in 1882 and Princess Beatrice and Prince Henry of Battenberg in 1887.
Titus Salt junior died in 1887; his widow remained at Milner Field until 1903 when she sold the estate to Sir James Roberts who lived there until he retired and moved to Scotland. Mr Ernest Gates was the next occupier; unfortunately he died in 1924 and Mr Hollins moved into Milner Field. After his death in 1929 the house was put up for sale but there were no offers for it; the house was eventually demolished in the 1950s.