Existing Historic Buildings
Many building in Baildon that are still standing have a history. They don't need to be old for them to have a story and a history. You can read about historic buildings of Baildon that no longer exist here.
Baildon Hall is thought to be one of the oldest surviving buildings in Baildon and is believed to have been built towards the end of the 15th century as a timber framed cross wing hall though incorporating a 14th century oak screen with three doorways inserted into a 15th century framework with cross beams and timbers. Around the middle of 17th century it was enclosed in stone. The building is considered to be an outstanding (and rare) example of a medieval Yorkshire manor house. It has been altered over the years but is still worthy of its Grade II* listing designation.
The present house was built at the end of the 16th century by Robert Baildon, though he clearly incorporated parts of an earlier building.
At the time of his marriage in 1649 to Jane Hawksworth, daughter of Sir Richard Hawksworth, Francis Baildon beautified the parlour of Baildon Hall with oak panelling and an ornate plasterwork ceiling and frieze. Ceilings of this type had been popular since Tudor times. The first such plasterers came from Italy, though this ceiling was probably made by London craftsmen. In the design there are birds, acorns, oak leaves, lions, fruit, goats and gargoyle-like heads. Francis's initials can be seen above the fireplace.
There is a legend that Charles I’s nephew, Prince Rupert, slept at the Hall after his defeat at the Battle of Marston Moor near York in 1644.
Baildon, the settlement, and the Baildon family, who built Baildon Hall as their family seat, both took their name from Baildon Hill.
Baildon Hall has been preserved and restored through the efforts of the members of Baildon Hall Club which was set up there in 1947.
Location on Google Maps - here
Listed Building description. Grade II*
Manor house, now social club. C14 screens-passage incorporated into late C15 crosswing encased late C16 with mid C17 hall range with early-mid C19 alterations. Timber-framed crosswing encased by large dressed stone with dressed stone C17 range and stone slate roof. 2½ storeys with cellar. 3-roomed front, hall-and crosswing plan, double-depth under 2-span roof. L-shaped west front has 3-gabled hall range with projecting wing to right. 1st cell, parlour, has two C19 sashed windows with plain stone surrounds. Hall under 2-gables, has 10 x 10 light mullioned-and transomed window with roll and concave moulding, king mullion and round heads to upper lights; 3 lights have been blocked by inserted door. Hoodmould over window. 1st floor has 6 C19 sashed windows. Each gable has cross-window to attic, moulded coping, base for finial, and parapet between gables. Doorway to right at junction with wing, has shallow-arched lintel with spandrels, composite jambs and moulded surround. South wing breaks forward with 4-light deeply-chamfered mullioned window with cavetto mullions. Above, 3-light chamfered mullioned windows. Coped gable with base for finial to apex. Left return of wing projects beyond eaves and has laid-on rainwater head. This indicates the enclosing of the earlier timber-frame. This indicates the enclosing of the earlier timber-frame.
Rear: U-shaped with gabled crosswing to left, gabled hall to centre with large external stack to right, gabled stair tower flush with right wing. Plinth. left wing has 4-light cavetto-moulded mullioned deeply-chamfered window with 4 arched lights and sunken spandrels, 3-light chamfered window above. Coped gable with kneelers and base for finial. Set back, hall has 4 x 4-light double-chamfered mullioned-and transomed window with cross-window above. Large stack projects with moulded cornice and rainwater head. Stair-tower has blocked doorway to left of cross-window with same above. Right wing has 6-light double-chamfered mullioned window set in basement to light cellar. 6 x 6-light mullioned-and-transomed window with former 5 x 5-light window above altered to 2 sashed lights. Cross-window to attic. Paired coped gables with kneelers and bases for finials, set in left-hand return of stair-tower original doorway with Tudor-arched lintel, sunken spandrels, and cyma-moulded surround with broach-and roll stop 2-light window above, corbelled stone gutter. Left-hand return has 2 gables each with tall external stacks, that to rear carried on corbells for 1st-floor fireplace. Set between, cross-window to each floor and rainwater chute set in valley between the 2 coped gables. Right-hand return has 2 lateral stacks reduced in height.
Interior; North wing contains parlour with rear service room and steps down to contemporary cellar. Parlour has fine oak-panelled walls reputedly brought from Hawksworth Hall by Jane Hawksworth at the time of her marriage to Francis Baildon in 1649 (Le Page, P34). It was probably at this time that the richly decorated plaster ceiling and frieze was installed. The frieze has the initials “F B ” and is decorated with vine-leaves, pomegranates and flowers. The ceiling has fruit and foliage motifs with pendants, and ribs arranged in a geometric pattern of squares and circles. The chamber above has late C17 oak panelling with long rectangular panels. The hall has 2 large spine beans and lateral fireplace with moulded jambs and replaced pointed lintel (wooden). Chamber above has Victorian plaster cornice. Opening off the hall, at junction with North Wing, is fine original closed string, framed newel stair with heavy square newels decorated with strap-work and with flame-finials, moulded handrail and finely turned balusters. At junction with hall and south wing is screens passage with pointed-arched doorways (timber) the centre one wider and formerly leading into a passage separating the ground floor of wing into 2 rooms each with fireplaces contemporary with stone encasing. 2 posts either side of screen rise to support king-post trusses. 1st floor of 3 bays. Front bay has closed truss with “A” struts and close-studded wall with fragments of plaster decoration dated 1618. 2-bay rear room has fine open truss with tall king-post and tie-beam with knee braces. Wall plate and close-studded wall at junction with hall-chamber. Transverse cross-beams morticed into posts support the exceptionally heavy 10" x 8" laid-on joists. Eastern gable (rear) has similar closed truss on the inside of gable wall. Roof timbers virtually intact with heavy rafters. The wing would appear to be a floored solar wing, heated by an external stack on the side wall. The single bay chamber with plaster decoration dated 1618 had a fragment, now perished, decorated with the Christian symbol of a fish and thus may have been a chapel originally. The seat of the Baildon family. A house of importance with the rare survival of a late medieval timberframed cross-wing and finely panelled and plastered C17 parlour with a good original staircase. J. Le Page, The Story of Baildon, (1951). RCHM (England) report.
Listed Building description. Grade II
Cottage and house, now single residence. Cottage initialled and dated “ R H M ” 1 7 1 5 (Holden family); House initialled and dated “ RH ” 1724
Hammer-dressed stone, stone slate roofs, 2 storeys. A long range with cottage to left. This has two 1stfloor windows. Doorway with tie-stone jambs with 2-light flat-faced mullioned window above; tripartite sashed windows with same above; doorway (blocked) with date stone over and semicircular-arched window (blocked). Coped gable with kneelers and weathervane to left. Large stack to right gable. Linking passage to house, breaking forward, has 3-light window to each floor. House: 3-room plan with four 1 stfloor windows. Quoins. Outer bays have mid-C20 canted bay windows with 4-light window above. 2nd bay has altered doorway with date stone over in decorative plaque with single-light window above. 3rd bay has 5-light window to each floor. 1st-floor windows have recessed flat-faced mullions with an inner chamfer. Moulded eaves cornice, coped gables with stacks. One other stack to ridge. Rear of house has arched stairwindow with impost blocks and keystone and 2-light double-chamfered mullioned window. Left-hand return of house has porch, carried on cast-iron columns, to wide doorway with monolithic jambs and lintel. 2-light window above with single-light 16-paned sashed window to attic.
Interior: most rooms have richly moulded cornices. Stairhall has closed string staircase with wreathed and ramped handrail, slender turned balusters, 2 to each riser, pair of cast-iron columns the capitals enriched with acanthus decoration. Semicircular-arched doorway with impost, architrave and keystone.
Dwelling: Baildon House Census Place: Baildon, York, England Source: FHL Film 1342036 PRO Ref RG11 Piece 4339 Folio 79 Page 10
John ROUSE Married 33 Male born Bradford, York, England Relationship: Head Occupation: Worsted Manufacturer Employing 1000 Hands
Mary J. ROUSE Married 26 Female born Epsom, Surrey, England Relationship: Wife
Lois M. ROUSE 5 Female born Baildon, York, England Relationship: Daughter Occupation: Scholar
Caroline N. ROUSE 4 Female born Whitby, York, England Relationship: Daughter
L. Alice M. ROUSE 3 Female born Baildon, York, England Relationship: Daughter
Margaret ROUSE 1 Female born Baildon, York, England Relationship: Daughter
Sarah E. BRIDGIT Unmarried 30 Female born Bristol, Gloucester, England Relationship: Visitor
Catherine ANDERSON Unmarried 24 Female born Scotland Relationship: Serv Occupation: Waiting Maid (Dom)
Jane E. LISTER Unmarried 25 Female born Bramham Moor, York, England Relationship: Serv Occupation: Cook (Dom)
Annie MILLER Unmarried 18 Female born Bradford, York, England Relationship: Serv Occupation: Housemaid (Dom)
E. Kate HARYOTT Unmarried 25 Female born Cowfold, Sussex, England Relationship: Serv Occupation: Head Nurse (Dom)
Bella B. HARRISON Unmarried 18 Female born Scarborough, York, England Relationship: Serv Occupation: Under Nurse (Dom)
For details of the Baildon Reservoirs have a look here Baildon Reservoirs
A house on Hallcliffe. Until recently the land extended to Holden Lane but newer houses have now been built on the land.
Robinson's Sweet Hut
The sweet hut dates back to just after the First World War. When Freddie Lambert returned from the First World War he was severely shell shocked. I have been told by the current proprietor (2004) that the members of the Baildon British Legion paid for the shop to be built by a Shipey carpenter for Freddie. It was then brought up to the common land, Pinfold, Mill Hill by horse. The wheels have been left on the hut so that it is exempt from rates; though the wheels are now half buried in the tarmac..
- I thought the British Legion was not started until later?
Potted Meat Stick
A reminder of the Holdens, a leading Baildon family, is the fountain or 'potted meat stick.' This was given by Baron Amphlett of Somerset as a memorial to his mother-in-law, Frances Ferrand. She was the younger daughter of William Holden.
There is reference to an agreement for the erection of a fountain in the notes from the minutes of the Baildon Local Board for 18 March 1862
I find it difficult to match these two histories - P Marfell
The term 'potted meat stick' suggests some derision of the fountain. Perhaps it was felt that it was given by a 'foreigner'. There is strong evidence that it never really worked but it did become a valued part of the village, so much so that when, in 1925, an attempt was made to remove it to make room for buses, Baildoners objected and it became the bus terminus. It was not so lucky in the 1960s when it was removed during changes to the village centre and ended up in pieces. It was found, restored and put in its present position using money from Mechanics' Institute Funds in 1986. Colin S Michallat says that the late Bernard Stubbs played a part in saving the Potted Meat Stick for Baildon, Colin remembers seeing it firstly in the Council yard off Otley Road, then on a Council tip off Tong Street, then next to the one at Dock Field, only a few feet from it falling into the river. Colin says the late Cllr Fred Atkinson found the hidden money to rebuild it, and that his memorial stone is hidden by the flowers surrounding the statue Its location can be seen here. The map also has a link to a photo of it.
Old Village Stocks at Baildon
The Story of Baildon by John La Page has a section on the Stocks, Cross and Fountain where it is said that an old woman who had died 'recently' (the book was written in 1951) could remember the stocks being used. The last remembered case was where a man was condemned (sic) to sit in the stocks during November from 10am to 6pm. The offender had to sit on the cold base of the stone pillar in Towngate and several people, including Raphael Ambler, using his cap, tried to put something under him. However the village constable was vigilant and apparently made him take it back. The book also mentions that in 1904 William Scruton said the name of the last person in the stacks was in dispute. The suggestions are - a coal hawker from Wibsey or Throup Lilley, a Shipley carter, put in the stocks for ill treating a horse.
The Story of Baildon also mentions that in 1862 Baildon chose the drinking fountain over a carillon of bells for the church. So that the fountain could be erected the Baildon Board pulled up the stocks and sent them, as scrap stone, to help build the reservoir on the moors. The side pillars were not broken up. In 1904 it was decided to restore them and John Wilks remembered his father telling him where they were. William Scruton, John Wilks and others recovered the stone from the south west corner of the lower reservoir and returned it to Towngate. It is mentioned in the book that over the years the stocks have suffered damage, mainly by heavy traffic, and it is thought that little of the original stone remains.
See this note from the minutes of Baildon Board about the Stocks that fits with the above.
The following has been submitted as from Bradford Antiquary 1888
The stocks which stood for ages adjourning the old cross at Baildon were removed a few years ago by order of the Board and not one stone of them was left standing. I have made frequent enquiries and was informed that they were removed to Baildon moor and used in construction of the last reservoir made by the local Board. I writes so it may be recorded as to what has become of the old stocks that once existed in Baildon
The following is taken from the Bradford Antiquary website. One Hundred Years Of Local History by J. Reynolds & W.F. Baines, 1978 in the section on William Scruton
Like any good local historian, he spent many hours browsing around the district; on one such ramble, he came across the ancient Baildon stocks embedded in the walls of a reservoir and saw to it that they were restored and placed where they now stand in the centre of the village.
However it has also been suggested that the stocks currently (2011) in Baildon centre are replica ones that were made by someone in the Ellis family.
Baildon Old Hall
A house sometimes called Baildon Old Hall is on the left at the top of Westgate. It is also known as Stead Hall as that old Baildon family built it in the 17th century. The Stead faliy are first mentioned in documents in 1432 and appear in the parish registers until the mis 18th century. The Stead family also appear to have had trouble during the reign of Charles I. William Steads senior and junior were each fined £10, a large sum in those days, for not appearing at his coronation to take up knighthoods. For most of the 18th century the Butlers lived at Stead Hall. Anne Butler married Isaac Hollings of Bradford and she leased the Hall to Richard Goldsborough a worsted stuff manufacturer. His descendants lived there until the early 20th century.
Another prominent family in the woollen industry, the Amblers, built Westgate House in 1814. Westgate House is now a bakery and cafe. They also owned the warehouse next to it which is now the Suburban Style Bar (for a while, until about 2004, it was Kirby's). The Suburban still retains the door through which the wool was hoisted into the warehouse. In the 1840s Jerimiah Ambler was possibly the richest man in Baildon, having more servants than anyone else. He was a wool merchant. Farmers brought their wool on donkeys to sell to him. It was said that if a half soveriegn rolled down Northgate it would turn itself up Westgate to Ambler's.
St James's Church, Otley Road, Baildon
This painted tongue and goove timber church, which is now a Grade II listed building, was moved to Baildon from Great Warley, Essex in 1905. The Revd N R Bailey, rector of Great Warley, had property in Baildon and hoped to retire there. However his obituary was published in Nov 1900 before he retired. I don't know how that then resulted in the church being moved.
The Historical Interest Map on the Baildon Village site here shows its location and links to a photo.
REPORT ON ST.JAMES'S CHURCH July 2007 (Presented to Baildon Neighbourhood Forum 19 July 2007)
Following approval of the St. James's project by the diocesan registrar in the summer of 2006, the land was put on the market by Dacre, Son and Hartley. The firm Hudson's of Pudsey tendered the highest bid and were given the contract to build 10 houses on the site.
The firm Harrisons's of Cononley have been given the contract to renovate the church, which entails taking it down piece by piece and rebuilding it 30 metres to the west. Special cedar wood is being used to replace rotten timbers, heat pumps under the ground will provide eco-friendly energy for heat and light. A meeting room, new kitchen and toilets will be built adjoining the church, and inside the church will be restored with new flooring, lights, storage space, furniture and art hanging. Around the outside a Biblical garden has been planned which will have plants mentioned in both Old and New testaments. It is hoped people will find it a restful place to be.
The church will have a multi-purpose use. There will be the usual services, plus some modern innovations, and a space for toddlers, cubs, brownies, the art group, the Tai Chi group, whist drives and other activities. For example, there could be a drop-in coffee shop and a mid-week luncheon club.
The work will take about 8 months and we hope to be back by January 2008. It will provide an attractive social centre for all the community.
Meanwhile the present congregation has been given the use of a room at Denso Marston's for Sunday Eucharist and Hoyle Court School will be used for services on Sun.9 Sep. Sun.7 Oct. (Harvest) and Sun 2 Dec. ( Toy service).
We appreciate the generosity of both Marston's and Hoyle Court School during the renovations.
(Joan Edbury, Church Warden, July 2007 )
Listed Buildin Description. Grade II
Church. Mid-late C19 re-erected on present site c1905. Timber-framed with weatherboarding, pantile roof. Nave and chancel continuously roofed, north transceptal chapel, south porch, short belfry tower to west end. 5 bays articulated by buttresses, which are continuation of principal rafters of A-frame, with quatrefoils set in angle with wall. Simple gabled transcept and porch. Lateral windows are square-headed and plain. East and west windows are of 4 lights with traceried heads. Tower has 3 quatrefoils in belfry with pyramidal roof. Gable cross. Interior: Single-vessel. 6 internal bays with collar trusses. That at junction with chancel is arch-braced. Simple chancel screen with curved spandrels to uprights infilled with quatrefoils. Chancel roof is boarded. Small transceptal chapel with boarded roof. 3 windows with diamond panes and coloured glass. Originally erected at Great Warley in Essex; it was given, together with land for the site, by the Trustees of the late Rev. H. R. Bailey, sometime Rector of Warley. Prominent in the landscape.
Extract from The Essex Society for Archaeology and History website
The following text has been extracted from the The Essex Society for Archaeology and History Winter 2004 Newsletter that can be found here - webpage. Permission to publish this has been granted by Michael Leach (Hon Secretary, Essex Society for Archaeology and History) (2 June 2008)
VISIT TO GREAT WARLEY CHURCH
On 17 July, members were introduced to Great Warley with an informative introduction to the history of the village by Peter Proud, churchwarden. The original church and manor house were at the southern end of this long thin parish. Both before and after the Conquest, the manor was in the hands of the abbess of Barking and remained so until the dissolution. On the suicide of a subsequent lay owner, and the manor was divided between his daughters. John Evelyn acquired the manor in 1649 but, apart from attending a few manorial courts, he had no involvement in the village. From 1741, Warley Common became an important site for the militia camp. Dr Johnson attended as an observer in 1778 and was impressed by the musket firing. Later that year, George III attended and his stay with Lord Petre at Thorndon necessitated the employment of 60 upholsterers. In 1806 permanent barracks were built on the Common where there was also a racecourse. Soon after the arrival of the railway at Brentwood in 1840, 116 acres of Warley Common was sold for housing development and in 1855 additional land was sold for the construction of the Essex Lunatic Asylum. The railway also brought new owners and new wealth to Warley. Edward Ind (son of the founder of Romford Brewery) built Coombe Lodge in 1866. Evelyn Heseltine (died 1930) built a large new house for himself in the village in 1876 (later converted into a hotel) and at the same time Frederic Willmott bought and enlarged Warley Place. His daughter Ellen was to become one of the most famous plantswomen in the country.
In 1892, the parish church was still at the far southern end of the parish, inconveniently sited for most parishioners, many of whom to go in the Brentwood direction to the new church of St Michael, Warley, built in 1855. The rector of Great Warley decided to address this problem by constructing, at his own expense, a substantial wooden church behind the rectory with seating for 140. This proved popular but on his death this privately owned church was bequeathed to the parish of Baildon in Yorkshire, where it is still in use. This move did not suit the parishioners of Great Warley who had become accustomed to the convenience of a church in the village, and Evelyn Heseltine put up £5000 for a new church and rectory, in memory of his brother Arnold (died 1897). The architect chosen was Charles Harrison Townsend (1852-1928), already noted for his Art Nouveau designs of the Bishopsgate Institute, the Whitechapel Art Gallery and the Horniman Museum. A decade earlier he had refronted All Saint’s, Ennismore Gardens, South Kensington, working with Heywood Sumner (1853-1940), one of the leading designers of the Arts & Crafts movement.
Dedicated in 1904, the simple roughcast exterior of the church that Townsend designed at Great Warley belies the rich Art Nouveau detail within. He again collaborated with Heywood Sumner (who designed the stained glass in the apse) but also, more significantly, with William Reynolds-Stephens (1862-1943). Reynolds-Stephens’s training as an engineer led him to try out new techniques at Great Warley, such as the electroplating of the Christ figure, and the use of aluminium leaf pressed into plaster. Electric lighting was used from the outset, and the electroliers were made of galvanised iron embellished with enamel panels and glass beads. Other artists were involved too; Louis Davies designed the baptistery windows, and Reginald Hallward the chapel ceiling. All the interior fittings, even the pews and the wall panelling, were designed for the church and are a surprising and remarkable tribute to the innovative and under-appreciated talent of the time. Recent restoration has enabled much of the craftsmanship to be seen again in its original glory. Sadly much of the stained glass was lost due to bomb damage, and some of the post-war replacements now seem inappropriate. However it was very pleasing to see that one has recently been replaced to an original design. Those in charge of looking after this church are to be congratulated for their energy and enthusiasm in preserving and enhancing such an unusual building.
After tea, a small group went to Warley Place to look at the remains of Ellen Willmott’s house and garden, now managed by the Essex Wildlife Trust as a nature reserve. Many unusual features of the garden, and its plants, have survived.
Hoyle Court Road (north side) this was a Mill owner's large house, now Masonic Lodge.
Hoyle Court website Initialled and dated “E. B.” 1912.
Can anyone give me more any history about Hoyle Court Hall? I know the Ambler family had something to do with it. I am getting married there and would like a bit of history to include with my invites. --Julia 13:31, 24 October 2007 (BST)
Listed Building description
Snecked dressed rubble with ashlar dressings, hammer-dressed stone to rear, stone slate roof. Edwardian Baroque style. 2½ storeys. South front: symmetrical facade, U-shaped with projecting wings. 11 bays to ground floor, 5 bays of windows to 1st floor. Wings have quoins and 2 ground-floor windows with architrave, keystone, projecting sill and apron. Above and set between is 3-light window with broken pediment set over central light which has apron under with carved bracket. Shaped gabled dormer with keyed oculus and carved bracket. Hipped roof with lateral stack to both wings. Slightly set-back hall range has 3 ground-floor windows either side of doorway with Gibbs surround and triple-keystone. 1st floor has 3 windows of 3 lights the central one with broken triangular pediment flanked by broken segmental pedimented windows. Parapet with Lombard frieze rising to central feature with carved urn. Original dormer windows with hips. Hipped roof with 3 stacks with alternate raised and flush quoined angles. Rear has main feature of porch with elaborate doorcase with triple keystone, Ionic pilasters with raised blocks, architrave, pulvinated frieze, cornice and open triangular pediment, parapet surmounted by carved urn. Set back 1 st-floor window has broken segmental pediment with keyed oculus above, shaped gable flanking piers with brackets.
Interior: Stair-hall has fine closed-string open-well staircase with wreathed and ramped handrail, fluted newels with Corinthian capitals and alternate fluted and twist balusters, 2 to each riser, with brackets. Opposite doorways have flanking Doric pilasters the doorcase with architrave and console keystone. Plaster cornice with egg-and-dart moulding. Walls have large rectangular panels. 2 main reception rooms, now opened into one room, have moulded cornices; the northern most room has heavy modillioned cornice and egg-and-dart moulding, fluted pilasters flanking large double doors of 2 panels; the other has dado-rail with Vitruvian scroll decoration, dentil cornice with foliage enrichment with palmette and urns. A 3rd room has fine doorcases with stepped architrave, pulvinated frieze decorated with egg-and-dart moulding and cyma-moulded cornice. Richly decorated fireplace has carved Bacchanalian scene with cherubs and donkey, the sides decorated with carved devils' heads and fruit and foliage, modillioned cornice, marbled surround with original iron grate the apron fretted with Greek Key ornament, carved overmantel with a copy of the original painting.
Baildon Moravian Church
Listed Building description
Moravian Church. C1868 by Samuel Jackson (Bradford). Dressed stone, Welsh blue-slate roof. Simple Gothic Revival style. The north gable has main entrance with pointed-arched doorway with inner chamfered jambs with cusped lintel. This is flanked by cusped lancets. Above doorway are a pair of plate tracery 2-light windows with trefoils to heads, flush with relieving arches in gable which is coped with kneelers and surmounted by bellcote. Return walls have 4 bays of 2-light cusped windows with trefoils; corbelled gutter brackets. Steeply-pitched roof with 4 gabled vents with pierced work to arches of louvres. Interior: note inspected.
Particularly prominent hill top site with terraced approach. Replaces a church of 1806.
W P Baildon, Baildon and the Baildons, (1913) Vol I, p31.
D Linstrum, West Yorkshire Architects and Architecture (1978) p379.
No 9 Browgate (west side)
Photo on external website.
Listed Building description
Also includes Nos. 11 and 13. Former Wesleyan Methodist preaching house now restaurant (No 9) (2007), attached to 2 cottages now workshop and office. No 9 and No 11 dated 1755, No 13 early C19. Hammer-dressed stone, stone slate roof. 2 storeys. Forms a U-shaped block with No 13 to left. This has 2 bays. Doorway with tie-stone jambs in 2nd bay. All windows have plain stone surrounds, 4-paned sashes to 1 st floor, former shop window to ground floor. Stack to left gable. Set back No 11 has 3 bays. 1 st bay has doorway with monolithic jambs, 3rd bay has segmental-arched doorway with voussoirs and skew-backs, bears date and initials “JB”. Set between bays is window with plain stone surrounds. Above, three 16-paned sashes. Stack to rear of this range. No 9 breaks forward, gable fronted. Quoins. Ground floor has side shop window and doorway with wooden surrounds of indeterminate date. 1st floor has tall semicircular-arched window with voussoirs and skew-backs. Coped gable with kneelers. Stack to rear of this range. Attached to left is small 1½ storeyed gabled outshut possibly containing staircase originally. Interior: 3-bay roof with 2 king-post trusses with deep cambered tie-beams, single angle struts and stop-chamfered curved braces to the ridge. John Wesley is said to have preached from the 1st-floor window on his last visit to Baildon on Saturday, 22nd July, 1786 (LA Page, p 83).
J La Page, The Storey of Baildon, 1951.
Butler House, Butler Cottage and Butler Farmhouse. Butler Lane (south side)
Listed Building description
Late C18 or early C19. Hammer-dressed stone, stone slate roof. 2 storeys. 2-cell plan doubledepth. Raised quoins, plinth and sill bands, moulded eaves cornice. 3-bay symmetrical facade. Doorway with pilasters, entablature and open pediment has fan-light and 6-panel door. To either side 2-light flatfaced mullioned windows with slightly recessed mullions. Those to ground floor have lowered sills. Singlelight window over doorway. All windows formerly sashes. Coped gables with stacks. Built in to wall to left of front door is decorative date plaque initialled and dated “ TB ” 1726 reused from an earlier cottage when it was demolished nearby.
Butler Cottage and Butler Farmhouse.
Also known as No 35 and 37 Church Hill. House, now 2 dwellings. Mid C17. Hammer-dressed stone, dressed quoins, stone slate roof. 2 storeys with single-storey outshut to rear. 2-cell, gable-entry plan. Three 1 st-floor windows. All are double-chamfered mullioned windows, those to ground floor have hoodmoulds. 1st cell (Butler Cottage) has former 5-light window with lowered sill altered to 2 lights and with inserted doorway. 3-light window above. 2nd cell has 6-light window (lacking a mullion), 4-light window above; inserted doorway with French windows to left of 2-light fire-window (lacks mullion) with 4-light window above. Coped gable with kneelers and stack to right. Rear has low sweeping roof with 2-light window (blocked) to left of doorway with tie-stone jambs (blocked). Other 2-light window (blocked) and 2 later inserted windows. Right-hand return wall has wide doorway with tie-stone jambs (blocked) forming original gable-entry. Set above is taking-in-door with tie-stone jambs, partly blocked to window. To left, doorway with tie-stone jambs.
Interior: Cottage has stop-chamfered spine-beam and moulded beam with groove to its soffit for board-and muntin panelling a small section of which survives. Basket-arched fireplace with stop-chamfered surround. King-post truss with single-angle struts. 1st-floor chamber has C18 fireplace (probably when Butler House (q.v.) was built) with architrave and moulded shelf with a 2-light double-chamfered mullioned window now blocked by Butler House. Farmhouse has the continuation of same chamfered spine-beam as in cottage. This has scarf-joint to north-east end, evidence of former bressumer.
Sandal First School, Cliffe Avenue
Converted to apartments after the Bradford schools reorganisation of Local Schools
Listed Building description
Includes: Sandal First School, GREEN ROAD. Board School, 1893-94. Minor C20 alterations. Rock-faced stone with ashlar dressings and plain tile roofs and shouldered and coped rear and side wall stacks. Perpendicular Gothic style. Sill bands, coped gables with ball finials. 2 storeys: 1:4:1 bays. Rectangular central range, with recessed side wings and paired rear wings. Windows have stone mullions and transoms. Major windows have 4-centred arches and tracery. Central block has 4 cross-mullioned windows flanked by single lights. Above, 2 large through-eaves dormers with 3-light windows, flanked by single lights. Return gables have single cross-mullioned windows flanked by single lights, that to the left gable converted to a door. Above, a 3-light pointed arched window and flanking single light. Left side wing has a 3-light flat-headed window. Right wing has doorway with pointed arched overlight. Above, each has two 2-light pointed arched windows. Left return has 2 large openings to left, with late C20 glazing, and to right, a cross-mullioned window with an inserted door. Right return has a cross-mullioned window flanked to left by a single lights, and to right by an opening with C20 glazing. Above, each return has a central through-eaves dormer with a tall transomed light, flanked by single lights. These windows are partly reglazed. Rear gables have 3 large flat headed openings, and above, a 2-light window. Paired rear wings have 4 large flat headed openings, and above, large 3-light pointed arched windows with sidelights. On each side, a flat roofed square porch with door and overlight, approached by a ramp with C19 railing.
INTERIOR: Ground floor rooms have late C20 ceilings and matchboard dados. Entrance hall has plain open well stair, and crossbeam on cast iron column with elaborate scroll brackets. First floor hall has matchboard dado and arch-braced roof on corbels, with glazed screens and half-glazed doors to adjoining classrooms. Classrooms have similar roofs and detailing, one with roof partly exposed.
OUTSIDE: Rock-faced stone boundary wall encloses rectangular site. Gabled and flat coping on each side, chamfered ashlar coping to front and rear, with renewed railing. 2 original gates at rear, one pair to front, with cross-gabled square gate piers.
The photo is taken from the side. The font of the house faces on to Higher Coach Road but is obscured by bushes and trees.
Listed Building description. Grade II
Higher Coach Road (north side, off) (formerly listed as Trench House)
House. Mid C17 with addition initialled and dated “ H ” I E 1697 Hammer-dressed stone, rubble to rear, stone slate roof. 2 storeys. 2-cell plan, double-depth. L-shaped. 5-bay symmetrical facade has rusticated quoins, plinth and band. Doorway has pilasters with moulded capitals, stilted-arched lintel with raised keystone and daisies carved in the spandrels. Above in oval plaque is date stone under circular window. To either side cross-windows with slightly recessed flat-faced mullions in a raised plain stone surround with a roll moulded edge matching door jambs. Coped gables with kneelers and finely sculpted finials and gable stacks with moulded cornice. Rear has 4-light double-chamfered mullioned-and-transomed window to left of cross-window at mezzanine level probably to light the original stair. Kitchen wing breaks forward on right and has blind coped gable with kneelers, finials and stack. Side walls have 2-light window to left and 5-light window with 4-light above to right. Right-hand return wall of main house has 3-light window to 1st floor. The house is of interest as it shows a concious breaking away from the local vernacular tradition with classical elements to its front facade. RCHM (England) report.
Barn 10 metres north of Trench Farmhouse
Listed Building description. Grade II
Barn. Probably contemporary with house, mid-late C17. Hammer-dressed stone, dressed quoins, stone slate roof. L-shaped. Tall cart-entry set in junction between the 2 ranges has pent porch and monolithic lintel. To left, 2 chamfered ventilators with arched heads. To right, basket-arched doorway with composite jambs and chamfered surround, other doorway with monolithic jambs has chamfered lintel. This doorway has weathered dated inscription read “ SH ” 1669 illustrated in Baildon, p240. Window set between to each floor. Rear of this range has basket-arched doorway (blocked) and 3 bays of arched ventilators, some with sunken spandrels. South gable has other arched ventilators. W P Baildon, Baildon and the Baildons, Vol I, 1913, following p240.
Malt Shovel Public House
Northgate (east side)
Listed Building description. Grade II
Public house. Late C17 or early C18 with mid-C20 alterations. Hammer-dressed stone, dressed quoins, stone slate roof. 2½ storeys. 2-cell gable-entry plan, double-depth. Gable end to street has left half breaking forward. Right half has wide external stack with quoined angle and offsets. Set in the angle between is Tudor-arched doorway with sunken spandrels (blocked) with oval window with leaded lights above. 2-light double-chamfered mullioned window to right of stack at attic level. Coped gable with kneelers and L-shaped stack with 5 chimney pots. Rear gable is coped with kneelers and stack. Righthand return wall has 2 inserted C20 flat-roofed bay windows with mullioned window set between. 1 st floor has former 6-light double-chamfered mullioned window (partly blocked) and 4-light window lacking 2 mullions. Interior: 2 rooms have stop-chamfered spine beams and floor joists. One large fireplace with segmental arch and stop-chamfered surround; the other room has fireplace of C18 character with monolithic jambs and lintel carried on corbels with moulded surround. Prominently sited in the town.
Barn attached to the rear of the Angel Public House
11/24 Northgate (east side, off)
Listed Building description. Grade II
Barn. Early-mid C17. Coursed rubble, roughly dressed quoins, stone slate roof. 4-bay barn. Central cart-entry has composite jambs the lintel raised. Mistal doorway to right has composite jambs and large quoined lintel. Interior: good king-post roof with mostly original purlins and rafters.
Is at the bottom of Baildon Road at its junction with Otley Road.
1881 Census for Dwelling: 1 Junction Inn Census Place: Baildon, York, England Source: FHL Film 1342036 PRO Ref RG11 Piece 4339 Folio 128 Page 22
Thompson HAMMOND Married 27 Male Eccleshill, Yorks, England Relationship: Head Occupation: Inn Keeper
Margaret HAMMOND Married 37 Female Micklethwaite, Yorks, England Relationship: Wife
Mary Ellen HAMMOND 3 Female Shipley, Yorks, England Relationship: Daughter
Edith HAMMOND 1 Female Baildon, Yorks, England Relationship: Daughter
Hannah SMITH Unmarried 27 Female Micklethwaite, Yorks, England Relationship: Sister Occupation: Domestic Servant
Sarah SMITH Unmarried 29 Female Micklethwaite, Yorks, England Relationship: Sister Occupation: Worsted Weaver
The 1901 Census has Arthur Procter as the publican and head of the household. He was then aged 26 and was born in Wilsden. His wife Martha A. (aged 28 and born in Golcar, Yorks.) his daughter Gladys M. (aged 2, born in Allerton, Yorks) and mother Mary Procter (aged 49, widowed, born Allerton, Yorks. ) were also there at the time of the census along with Esther Marsh, single, 32, domestic servant born in Penny(?) Bridge, Lancs. (Penny Bridge is in Cumbria did it move?), Harry Wadsworth, boarder, 45, Worsted Weaver, born Skelmanthorpe, Yorks., Frank J. B Fearnley, 31, (?Manager?) Worsted Mill, born Bradford, Yorks., Joseph Davidson, 23, Engineer, born ?Nearton, Bucks., and John F Holden, 22, Servant, Ostler (Groom), born Bulwell, Notts..
1881 Census for Dwelling: 9 Queen Street (Queen Hotel) Census Place: Baildon, York, England Source: FHL Film 1342036 PRO Ref RG11 Piece 4339 Folio 127 Page 20
Elizabeth PLEWS, Widowed, age 43, gender Female, born Holbeck, York, England Relationship: Head Occupation: Publican Innkeeper
Ada PLEWS, Unmarried, age 17, Female, born Holbeck, York, England Relationship: Daughter
James PLEWS, Unmarried, age 13, Male, born Holbeck, York, England Relationship: Son
Minnie PLEWS, age 7, Female, born Holbeck, York, England Relationship: Daughter Occupation: Scholar
Mary PLEWS, age 5, Female, born Baildon, York, England Relationship: Daughter Occupation: Scholar
Shoulder of Mutton
1881 Census for Dwelling: Shoulder Of Mutton Census Place: Baildon, York, England Source: FHL Film 1342036 PRO Ref RG11 Piece 4339 Folio 102 Page 23
Thomas FORREST Married 34 Male Bradford, York, England Relationship: Head Occupation: Licensed Victualler (Innkeeper)
Clara B. FORREST Married 27 Female Bradford, York, England Relationship: Wife
Edith FORREST 2 Female Manningham, York, England Relationship: Daughter
Clara Louise FORREST 4m Female Baildon, York, England Relationship: Daughter
Annie WATSON Unmarried 17 Female Bradford, York, England Relationship: Half Sister
Mary A. STOCKDALE Unmarried 19 Female Thirsk, York, England Relationship: Serv Occupation: House Maid (Domestic)
Elizabeth A. HOLROYD Unmarried 16 Female Barnsley, York, England Relationship: Serv Occupation: Kitchen Maid
Thomas EVERITT Unmarried 21 Male Ely, Cambridge, England Relationship: Serv Occupation: Hostler (Domestic)
1881 Census for Dwelling: Fleece Inn Otley Rd Census Place: Baildon, York, England Source: FHL Film 1342036 PRO Ref RG11 Piece 4339 Folio 99 Page 17 Marr Age Sex Birthplace
Walter CHAMBERLAIN Married 57 Male Nottingham, England Relationship: Head Occupation: Innkeeper Licensed Victl
Ellen CHAMBERLAIN Married 49 Female Bulwell, Nottingham, England Relationship: Wife
Sidney CHAMBERLAIN Unmarried 23 Male Bulwell, Nottingham, England Relationship: Son Occupation: Railway Stoker (Unemployed)
Alfred E. CHAMBERLAIN Unmarried 14 Male Bulwell, Nottingham, England Relationship: Son
1881 Census for Dwelling: New Inn Otley Rd Census Place: Baildon, York, England Source: FHL Film 1342036 PRO Ref RG11 Piece 4339 Folio 99 Page 17 Marr Age Sex Birthplace
Joseph R. YATES W 61 Male Dewsbury, York, England Relationship: Head Occupation: Inn Keeper
Emma YATES Unmarried 31 Female Baildon, York, England Relationship: Daughter
Samuel YATES Unmarried 25 Male Shipley, York, England Relationship: Son Occupation: Painter
John R. YATES Unmarried 23 Male Baildon, York, England Relationship: Son Occupation: Carter A L
William YATES Unmarried 20 Male Baildon, York, England Relationship: Son Occupation: Carter A L
Elizabeth YATES Unmarried 18 Female Baildon, York, England Relationship: Daughter Occupation: Worsted Weaver
Eleanor YATES Unmarried 14 Female Baildon, York, England Relationship: Daughter
Alice SMITH 2 Female Idle, York, England Relationship: Grand Daughter
Dwelling: 70 Browgate Bay Horse Inn Census Place: Baildon, York, England Source: FHL Film 1342036 PRO Ref RG11 Piece 4339 Folio 65 Page 26
James SCOTT Married 41 Male Arthington, York, England Relationship: Head Occupation: Publican Innkeeper
Martha SCOTT Married 39 Female Pudsey, York, England Relationship: Wife Occupation: Wife
Louisa SCOTT Unmarried 19 Female Pudsey, York, England Relationship: Daughter Occupation: Worsted Weaver
Lavinia SCOTT Unmarried 18 Female Pudsey, York, England Relationship: Daughter Occupation: Worsted Weaver
Emma SCOTT Unmarried 15 Female Pudsey, York, England Relationship: Daughter Occupation: Dom Assistant To Her Mother
William SCOTT Unmarried 11 Male Pudsey, York, England Relationship: Son Occupation: Scholar
Sarah A. SCOTT Unmarried 8 Female Pudsey, York, England Relationship: Daughter Occupation: Scholar
Henry SCOTT Unmarried 2 Male Pudsey, York, England Relationship: Son Occupation: Scholar